What Is Socially Responsible Investing (SRI)?
- "Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) is a broad-based approach to investing that now encompasses an estimated $2.71 trillion out of $25.1 trillion in the U.S. investment marketplace today. SRI recognizes that corporate responsibility and societal concerns are valid parts of investment decisions. SRI considers both the investor's financial needs and an investment's impact on society. SRI investors encourage corporations to improve their practices on environmental, social, and governance issues. You may also hear SRI-like approaches to investing referred to as mission investing, responsible investing, double or triple bottom line investing, ethical investing, sustainable investing, or green investing." (Social Investment Forum)
- SocialFunds.com - Features over 10,000 pages of information on SRI mutual funds, community investments, corporate research, shareowner actions, and daily social investment news.
- Investor Environmental Health Network: A collaborative partnership of investment managers advised by nongovernmental organizations, encouraging companies to reduce and eliminate toxic chemicals in products.
- First Affirmative Financial Network, LLC (FAFN) - "An independent investment advisory firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). We support a nationwide network of investment professionals who specialize in helping clients take a socially responsible approach to investing (SRI). We provide consulting and asset management services for institutions seeking to integrate mission and values into investment strategy and decision making."
- Green Century Funds
"What is the Green Century Funds strategy? The Green Century Funds employ a three part strategy: Invest in the companies that are leading the way toward a greener future. Refuse to invest in companies that are polluting the planet. And invest in some companies to influence their behavior on the environment."
- Domini Social Investments
"We are an investment firm specializing exclusively in socially responsible investing. We manage more than $1.3 billion in assets for individual and institutional investors who wish to integrate social and environmental criteria into their investment decisions. We manage the Domini Social Equity FundSM, the oldest and largest socially and environmentally screened index fund in the world, as well as two unique investment vehicles that invest in community economic development - the Domini Social Bond FundSM and the Domini Money Market Account."
"At Calvert, the definition of investment success goes beyond conventional measures. 'In our view, a successful investment is one that not only earns competitive returns but also helps to build a sustainable future and enhance the quality of life,' says Barbara Krumsiek, President and CEO of Calvert. This means that when Calvert's investment team evaluates a company, they first look closely at the numbers, then assess the company's impact on society and the environment. 'Our goal,' Krumsiek says, 'is to identify companies that are leaders today and will remain leaders tomorrow.'"
Photo by julian mora on Unsplash